Diamonds are prevalent in our modern culture. They are the most beautiful and beloved gemstones. They are so precious that they are used to decorate royal scepters. People sing about them and those that own them boast of their value. Diamonds are commonly used as small gems for jewelry such as wedding rings or necklaces. But have you ever thought of what is the largest diamond in the world? Below is the history, characteristics, source, and current location of the largest diamonds in the world.
The Cullinan Diamond
- Discovered in Premier Mine, South Africa in 1905 and named after the owner of the mine Thomas Cullinan.
- Bought by the Transvaal Colony government as a gift for King Edward VII.
- King Edward VII later directed the Cullinan Diamond cut by Joseph Asscher & Co in Amsterdam.
- The Cullinan diamond cutting resulted in nine prime gems which were named from Cullinan I to Cullinan IX
Overall the Cullinan diamond is considered as:
The Largest Rough Diamond in the World
The term rough diamond describes a diamond in its natural state before it is cut and polished. To date, the Cullinan diamond remains the largest rough diamond to ever be mined from the ground. In its natural state, the Cullinan diamond weighed 3106 carats, which is approximately 621 grams.
The Largest Colorless Diamond in the World
As indicated earlier, the Cullinan diamond was cut in nine prime gems on the order of King Edward VII. The gems were named Cullinan I-Cullinan IX. Cullinan I or the Great Star of Africa is the most notable of all the nine prime gems. It weighs 530. 2 carats. Cullinan I is considered the largest colorless diamond in the world.
The Golden Jubilee
- Also mined in the Premier Mine, South Africa in 1985.
- In its natural state, it weighed 755.5 carats.
- The Golden Jubilee diamond is owned by the King and Royal family of Thailand.
The Golden Jubilee holds two titles:
The Largest Cut Diamond in the World
After its cutting and polishing, the Golden Jubilee diamond weighs 545.67 carats. It is however brown in color, a characteristic that denies it the title of the largest colorless diamond. Nonetheless, colored diamonds are hard to come by. Hence, Golden Jubilee is even more precious.
The Largest Faceted Diamond in the World
The Golden Jubilee diamond is the largest faceted diamond ever discovered. It has a flat top and finely cut and polished facets along the side towards the bottom. The cut and polish enhance the brilliance and beauty of the Golden Jubilee diamond.
If you are looking to secure diamond jewelry, Marci Jewelry is your one-stop shop. Contact us for assistance with any diamond jewelry needs. We guarantee quality and expert services to your absolute satisfaction.