Setting a diamond gives it a secure and, most importantly, safe place to live. A setting can be specifically designed for your stone, or one might tailor a set that pairs with the jewelry design you are using to showcase your diamond.
How To Set A Diamond In A Prong Setting
To set a diamond in a prong setting, you'll need the following:
- A prong setting tool. You can use this tool to push the prongs into your ring gently and make them stay where they're supposed to be.
- An extra pair of hands! If you're working alone, it's best if someone else is helping out with this step as well—and preferably someone who knows how hard diamonds are (and how easy they are for others).
How To Set A Diamond In A Bezel Setting
To set a diamond in a bezel setting, you'll need to:
- Cut the prongs to the correct size.
- Attach them to the diamond by filing down their bases and then gluing them into place with superglue or epoxy.
- Attach the stone by using another piece of metal (like silver) as leverage while hammering down on top of it with brass hammers until it reaches its final shape.
How To Set A Diamond In A Shared-Prong Setting
- The diamond is placed in the center of the setting.
- Two diamonds share the prongs.
- The prongs are set at an angle and can be selected at different heights, widths, or both (besides being angled).
How To Set A Solitaire Setting
A solitaire setting is a single diamond, which can be set in a bezel, prong, or shared-prong setting. The most common way to set diamonds is with a solitaire setting.
Solitaire settings are also known as "plain" or "simple" because there are no other stones around them to distract from their beauty and value. The center stone sits alone on top of your finger after being set into an intricate metal band that wraps around the base of your finger (the bail).
When setting a diamond; there are many different ways to do it. The most important thing is to ensure that the setting enhances the diamond and does not take away from its natural beauty. With so many different styles of locations, it cannot be easy to decide which one is right for you. If you need help finding the perfect setting for your diamond, Marci Jewelry is here to help. We offer a wide variety of locations in all shapes and sizes, so you're sure to find the perfect one for your needs. Contact us today and help us find the ideal setting for your diamond!